Sunday, April 17, 2011

Stitch in Time

I am so blessed to have been able to participate in the class Stitch in Time taught by Colleen Babcock from England sponsored by the Eugene, OR doll club.  So much thanks to the gals for letting me share in such a wonderful experience.  Colleen is a good teacher and freely shares so much of her knowledge of doll making. 


Stitch in Time is the doll on the right.  She is an exquisite doll with oposable thumbs and a lot of other VERY small parts.   It was the small parts that really slowed me down!!   The "gem" I took away from the class is 'it doesn't have to be perfect the first time you pin on the pieces' - use the pins to anchor it and then make it perfect. 

I also learned how to make hair from yarn.  And how to make the face with minimal sculpting and lots of color for shading.  The color blends are you work with the doll so by the time you are finished her face is beautiful. There were so many new techniques, I felt like a novice to doll making! 

There is still much to do to finish my doll but I will have her done this week - hopefully before Doll Club on Thursday.

Monday, April 11, 2011

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Buttonholes!!!!
I did ten practice ones (with all the needed adjustments to make it perfect) and the first one I did on the dress messed up - twice!

(Deep breath.)
Fortunately, I was able to remove the stitching (since it was all in one spot) with no damage to the dress.
I took out the stitching of the bodice lining and trimmed the gathered seam of the skirt.  Am hoping that removes enough extra fabric to allow the button hole to smoothly install.    If that doesn't work I will move the buttonhole higher and put a snap at the bottom edge of the bodice. 
I can always do one more embroidery butterfly and applique it over where the button should have been!

Wanted to have the dress complete before the weekend.  Well ..........I wanted to have it completed last weekend until I ran into the buttonhole snafu and got low enough on thread I didn't want to risk running out after two of the three buttonholes.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Josie's New Dress

My latest sewing project nearly finished - just buttons and buttonholes left to do.  Josie's new dress and diaper cover just in time for Easter.  I used yellow cotton polyester blend fabric, added machine embroidery and lots of lace and ribbon. 
Sure hope it fits!  I am anxious to have her try it on - I have several other dresses in mind that need to get made soon. 
I am not as pleased with this dress as I was with the first pink one.  I didn't find any cute choices for ribbons and trims to go with the pale yellow.  I did find some cute bears but they didn't go with the lace or the butterflies!  My next challenge is pale green I have!!!!  I am thinking I will do more tucks on that one.  I am hoping to get to Fabric Depot next weekend to look for trims. 

Sunday, April 3, 2011

I Made a Book!

Well ................. I book bound a journal. 
It was fun and easy.  And I was impressed with the finished product.  I can visualize lots of uses for this new found skill.  Maybe not with a map of Italy (but I do know one guy who will like it). 
The Paper Source has japanese prints and sparkly paper which is much more my style!